Disaster Information for Specialized Growers

Specialized growers, such as honey producers, nut growers, Christmas tree growers and fruit and vegetable growers who may have sustained damage in the June 13 - July 15, 1998, severe storms and flooding are urged to register for disaster assistance immediately.

Regardless of any questions you may have as to your eligibility, you are encouraged to call the Federal Emergency Management Agency's toll free registration number, 1-800-462-9029. Specialty growers in non-declared and non-contiguous counties may also call to register. Those with hearing and speech impairments may register by calling 1-800-462-7585. The telephone numbers are operational from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CDT, Monday through Saturday until further notice. This information can be used to determine your eligibility if your county becomes eligible for assistance.

Specialty growers in a Presidentialy designated county and any contiguous county that touches a Presidentialy designated county must contact their county USDA service center to make application with the FSA representative. Waiting past the deadline to register could automatically make you ineligible.

This article originally appeared in the August 21, 1998 issue, p. 114.


Links to this article are strongly encouraged, and this article may be republished without further permission if published as written and if credit is given to the author, Yard and Garden, and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach. If this article is to be used in any other manner, permission from the author is required. This article was originally published on August 21, 1998. The information contained within may not be the most current and accurate depending on when it is accessed.