Are philodendrons poisonous?

Question:

Are philodendrons poisonous?

Answer:

Yes.  Philodendrons and closely related species contain calcium oxalate crystals which are toxic to humans, dogs, cats, and other animals.  When any part of the plant is eaten, it may cause pain and swelling in the lips, mouth, tongue, and throat, as well as excessive drooling, vomiting, difficult and painful swallowing, and loss of speech.  Keep philodendrons away from children and pets who may accidently eat the plants.

Answered by
  • Specialist
  • Consumer Horticulture Extension
Last updated on
March 19, 2024